My childhood memories of summer always bring me back to eating a gigantic ice cream cone at the park with my grandpa. I can still enjoy my ice cream in the summertime as an adult, and do it in a healthier way! This recipe can even be made yeast-free!
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of vanilla or almond extract
- ½ cup of fresh berries blended to a puree
- Zest of 1 medium orange
- 3 tablespoons of honey or 2 tablespoons of Sweet N’ Natural / Stevia
- Bring water in a double boiler to a boil, or create your own double boiler by boiling water in a saucepan and placing a heat safe bowl on top. Pour the coconut milk and extract in the bowl and heat until hot and just bubbling, but not a full boil, add orange zest.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add one spoonful at a time of the hot coconut milk to the eggs while whisking, this will keep the eggs from scrambling in the hot milk. Once you have tempered the eggs with two to three spoonfuls of hot milk add the tempered egg mixture to the bowl on your double boiler, whisk for several minutes until mixture thickens and let cool in the refrigerator.
- Once cooled add pureed berries and place back in the refrigerator for an hour, then place in your ice cream maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. I have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and it is very simple.
Now if all of this sounds like too much work for you have no fear! So Delicious makes several varieties of no sugar added coconut milk ice cream. These are sweetened with erythritol and are pretty tastey. My favorite is Mint Chocolate!